Lenten Book Study
Hello and welcome to our Book Study for Lent. We are reading through the books suggested to General Conference delegates to get an idea of what will be in the delegates’ minds and to help us make sense of the meta-and-local issues facing the United Methodist Church. Read more about this book study here.
- Try to reference the books by CHAPTER not by page number. Some of us are on Kindles and Nooks and page numbers do not always translate across devices. So try to reference the chapter titles rather than the page numbers ie. ‘In the “Local Church” chapter near the end, Lovett Weems says…’
- Feel free to comment and reply to other’s comments.
- This conversation is cross-posted to the UM Clergy Facebook Group where other UM clergy will have conversations. You can read these conversations by clicking the link.
This our first conversation about ‘Focus’ by Lovett Weems.
This is an open thread, meaning you can post your thoughts, musings, and respond to others’ posts as well.
Here’s some questions that you can respond to or :
- The adaptive challenge for The United Methodist Church is “To redirect the flow of attention, energy, and resources to an intense concentration on fostering and sustaining an increase in the number of vital congregations effective in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” How does Weems best approach this challenge in your view?
- What comments or recommendations were most shocking to you? What comments or recommendations did you find yourself ‘nodding your head’ or ‘shaking your fist‘ at?
- Weems focuses on the task of reaching young people. But there’s been several conversations that I’ve had with other clergy whose large churches are fine focusing on 35-45yo families as they have the financial means to support a church. How do we move churches to reaching young people as a mission against the wisdom of reaching middle-aged persons as institutional support?
Next Step: Synchblog on February 28th
- On Tuesday, February 28th, we invite bloggers to synchblog (that is, everyone blog on the same day about ‘Focus’) together. I’ll blog as well, and if you send your links either as comments or as emails to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ we will include a list of all the blogs so we can read each other’s writings (and get good cross-publicity!).
Thoughts? Post below!