Overview of new features
Here we are! This is the third version of HackingChristianity and it’s a big change. We have moved from a free Blogger account to a self-hosted WordPress solution. I know, everyone and their uncle figured this out a long time ago, but I like to tinker with things and don’t want to commit until I’ve better understood it.
Some features for people that visit the website:
- The tag cloud is back on the right-hand side! Click on a tag for posts in that tag/category.
- There’s a Featured scroller on the home page with new high-profile topics. Right next to it is the most recent blog posts.
- There are topic categories under the Featured scroller that highlight different categories of subjects (right now it’s “Nerd Gospel” “Videos” “Reviews” and more. I will rotate these from time-to-time.
- You can login via Facebook or Twitter to comment. No, I don’t get access to your information, it just links your comment name to your facebook or twitter account. Not creepy just easier to comment!
Some features for RSS subscribers:
- Tags for content now is embedded in the RSS feed, so if you like a topic and want to know more, you can click the tags. Neat eh?
- Easy one-click sharing of posts if you want to share them on youtwitface or wherever.
I’m hopeful this new platform will make it easier for me to blog and to better organize previous and future writings.
And for the geek in me, since all the data is in my databases, I own it and can take it anywhere the near-ubiquitous WordPress can export to.
Thoughts? Leave a comment!