Sigh. I know it is satire and humor, but I get pretty annoyed by the tired “Progressive” is a code word for “morally lax and permissive church” meme.
Here’s the basic sentiments about what “Progressive” means from the video:
- We don’t worry about God, we worry about you!
- We’ll make the religion to meet your needs.
- It’s never your fault.
- We’ll change things just for you.
- It’s all about you.
- It’s about feeling good about you.
- Marijuana, violent video games are cool
See, I don’t get this meme. Practically every one of those things could be leveled at megachurches like Osteen’s Lakewood Church or Warren’s Saddleback church who craft worship to be less language-offensive, less liturgical, less depth of theology so that they meet the felt needs of the congregation in a surface way.
In response to the above:
- Progressive churches deal with questions about whether God really worries about the things we think God worries about.
- Progressive churches critique church tradition and expressions to see how it can better meet the needs of people long kept on the sidelines of the church.
- Progressive churches emphasize societal responsibility alongside personal responsibility for fault.
- Progressive churches realize care for individuals may challenge sacrosanct issues via inclusive language.
- Progressive churches don’t do Halo tournaments or “end justifies the means” ministries.
I just don’t get it.
The only thing I can think of is that “Progressive” is code for “sexual permissiveness” regarding gay issues and abortion. That’s all I’ve got.
Funny video? Yeah, sure. Ridiculous caricature of Progressivism? Absolutely. But caricatures should over-emphasize a true feature of a topic and I just don’t see this outside of sexual permissiveness. So is that all it is about?
Someone please tell me how all these accusations come from anything other than moral permisiveness on sexual issues and I would love to have the conversation.